Monday, June 20, 2011

Puff Puff Pass

"It's absurd.  I can go get morphine pumped into my system and nobody's got a problem, but all of a sudden they're really worried if I smoked a joint...I'll be smoking weed until the day I die." Montel Williams

Montel Williams is an American talk show host and author who also happens to have MS.  Since his diagnosis, he has become an outspoken marijuana advocate for treatment of the disease and relief from symptoms.

I have never been a major pot-smoker.  I was a sporadic social smoker in my teen years and early twenties; it was fun at parties when I had nothing to do later that day.  I barely ever smoke it these days and haven't given pot a moment of serious thought...until now.  

In Canada, there are two categories of patients that have access to legal marijuana and cannabis products.  Category 1 is for end-of-life care and uses the drug to relieve pain, unwanted weight loss, nausea and seizures prior to expected death.  

Category 2 is for patients who have debilitating symptoms of a medical condition; this is where we MSers fit in.  Don't get too excited all of you party-animals out there; you must have your physicians approval prior to going through a government application process and even then, approval may take up to five weeks. So, this is definitely not the route to go to score some legal bud prior to that weekend get together. 

The effects of cannabis products have been studied in large medical trials and the results are promising. Once thought to just improve mood and 'good feelings' (Captain Obvious says: "duh"), cannabis has now been statistically proven to help loosen stiff and spastic muscles.  Cannabis is also shown to reduce pain caused by MS (Ex. girdle band pain etc.) and helps with mobility in a major way.

The most exciting findings to come out of the studies to date are from the animal models.  In looking at long-term benefit from cannabis use, animal studies have shown that nerve cell death is slowed and the substance may actually prevent against further cell damage.  Now, this is amazing.  Can you imagine if pot could help slow down the damaging effects of our disease?!  Holy cr*p, like, hand me some rollies already!

In the largest studies of cannabis' effect on MS, researchers have used THC (D9-tetrahydrocannabinol) as an oral treatment (swallowed, not inhaled) and cannabis plant extract.  Now, I will admit, I tried the THC pill a few weeks ago; THC is the primary, active ingredient in cannabis.  

I wanted to see if it helped with any of my symptoms.  I can report to all of you out there that...I don't remember.  I simply recall it taking a super-long time to kick in (hours) and then, whammy, happy times.  Seriously, not a care in the world.  I guess that, for me, the THC pills worked to alleviate the stress and worry that have plagued me since my diagnosis.  This is good.  Could I have worked, written, carried on a normal conversation while using them?  No. Definitely no. 

There is always good, old-fashioned smoking marijuana instead.  This is Montel's method and the results are faster, less mind-bending and go away faster.  This seems to be the preferred method for getting your dose in the MS community. Multiple Sclerosis symptoms wax and wane in most cases throughout the day. The smoking-method gives you more immediate control over your treatment.

Of course, it's not all sunshine and rainbows.  It seems that the way you take your cannabis really does matter.  In people who simply smoke pot, long-term effects (12+ months) have shown deterioration in mental acuity and speed of thought processing.  There is also the cancer-issue; burning and sucking in this substance has been shown to increase cancer risk.

So, as is the way with all things MS, it's complicated.  As I've said before, if it makes you feel better and helps you with your disease, do what you need.  Just take care if you don't have a legal prescription; I'm sure shuffling along in leg cuffs is difficult enough even without a disease that screws up your walking.

No comments: