Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Great Balls of Fire!

Holy hell, my eyeballs HURT!

I noticed this weird symptom about a year before I was actually diagnosed and, of course, thought it was something else.  Like fatigue, eye-strain, migraine etc.  You know the drill; every other conceivable thing but MS.

Anyway, it comes and goes but, when it's bad it feels like there's a little guy sitting on top of my eye balls and just squeezing them for dear life.  As you can imagine, this is not a pleasant sensation.  Can any of you MSers relate?  Do you have a little guy in your eye too?

I did some research on this symptom when it came back for me recently and discovered that it falls under the Optic Neuritis umbrella.  Remember our old friend...?


It seems that MS hosts a whole collection of other fun visual sh*t like:  double vision, blindness, jerky eye movements, lack of coordination between the eyes, and abnormal pupil response.  I had all of these symptoms at once when I fell skiing on moguls and cracked myself in the head about a decade back.  I never thought I could feel that disoriented again until...dum, dum, dum...MS.

Oh well, what are you going to do right?  I've said it before and I'll remind you again:  if you see any of your MS friends or family dressed in some atrocious get-up, they have blue eyeshadow (a la 80's) smeared on or they're wearing two different coloured shoes, it's just not our fault.  We can't see what the heck we're doing sometimes - just have a chuckle at our expense and keep walking. 



No comments: