Sunday, August 21, 2011

B.C.H.F. is O.K.A.Y

I was at a Townhall meeting at work on Friday and usually, it's pretty uneventful - we go over budget, special events, new programs etc.  In case you don't already know, I work for a Canadian hotel and resort company...  Anyway, we have a committee that concentrates on doing good in the community and fundraising for local charities.

On Friday, they presented information on a new foundation that we'll be supporting.  When I heard about what this foundation does, I had to hold back tears.  I was so happy that someone has recognized this particular need in our community and that I have this amazing option if needed the next time I'm hit with a relapse.

It's called BC Hospitality Foundation (BCHF) and their mission is "to support a person whose livelihood in BC's hospitality industry is threatened by a serious health-related condition.  The BCHF also awards scholarships and bursaries to students enrolled in or entering hospitality-related programs."

BCHF not only helps to supplement an afflicted person's income, they also assist with purchasing medical equipment like wheelchairs & lifts, matching fundraising donations and funding expensive surgeries for the employee or their family member.

When I was diagnosed with MS this March, I had to take disability leave from work immediately and, because I'd missed SO MUCH work leading up to that point, my disability pay was dismal.  As a result, I burned through several thousand dollars in savings.  This also caused a great fear (that lasts to this day) that one day, I won't be able to support myself, will have to give up my freedom and will have to rely on family to support me.

Needless to say, I have been putting as much back into savings as I can while still trying to travel and do everything I want to do before my next relapse.  As you can imagine (or know because you're in the same situation), this is stressful.

When I heard about BCHF, I felt an enormous sense of relief and strangely enough, a renewed sense of independence.

If what happened to me 5 months ago happens again before I can grow my savings substantially, I have somewhere to turn within my work community.

When I got diagnosed with MS, so many of my friends and family asked me where they could donate for charity.  Well, I have an answer now and if you're still looking for a good cause, here it is...
To donate online, please see:

http://www.tipouttohelp.com/

No comments: