Tuesday, October 04, 2011

First Attempt and Overfilled

Hi everyone, I was going to post a bit about MRI's today but, I just finished my first attempt at actually baking something and I was so excited that I didn't burn the house down...I needed to share.  For those of you who know me, I don't bake or cook.  Like, only if absolutely necessary.

It's not like I don't want to, it's just that I hate the smell of cooking in my house and it seems like so much work for just one meal when I'm eating alone.  I'm a go out and eat kind of girl - I love everything about socializing over a meal and a glass of wine.

Anyway, I have happened across not one, but two, psychics over the past three weeks (totally by chance-I know, weird).  They both told me that I was stifling my creative talents and that I should branch out and try something new.

I have always loved to decorate cookies (when someone else makes the cookies and loads the dishwasher!)...ha ha  My mother is nodding right now.  So, I thought, why don't I learn to bake and decorate?  I went out and bought muffin tins, cupcake liners, decorative icing tips etc.  When I first brought them home I just kind of stared at them, put them away and forgot about them.

Tonight I was bored and decided, it was time.  So, I just made orange cupcakes with cream cheese frosting that I dyed lilac, lime green and pink.  I know that I'm no Van Gogh of cupcake-making yet but, I'm so proud that I didn't blow anything up and they actually taste good!  Check it out...




We can talk about MRI's later but, for now, I'm proud of my gimpy, amateur cupcakes.  Since I got MS, I've been trying to live every minute and experience all kinds of new things.  This is step one on the road to becoming the person that everyone wants to bring the dessert to their party...I hope. :)

What new things have you been trying?  Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I just realized that the title doesn't make much sense.  I forgot to tell you that I overfilled them and the cupcakes turned out to be HUGE!  Who knew that you're only supposed to fill the cups halfway (don't say "everyone").  Lesson learned...

Ali.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed. Using a pastry bag is not an easy job! Did you eat half the batter and icing? Maybe we can open a cute cup-cake store in WR. MMMM I feel another ten lbs. coming!!!!

Alison I said...

Hi Mom, I thought you'd be happy that I actually entered the kitchen and used stuff in there for once. I would estimate that I ate approximately half a cupcake worth of batter... :)

It's funny though - when I cook/bake, I don't feel like eating. I just like when other people cook for me (as you know). I would love to open a shop in White Rock; then I can move back there and ditch the commute!

P.S. No sh*t about the pastry bag! Not easy at all!!!