Saturday, June 11, 2011

Keep On Keeping On

Emotionally, I have been feeling pretty bad for about four days now.  It's been three months since my MS diagnosis and I think it's just really sinking in that this sucker is not going to go away.  It lives with me now and shares my body and there's not much I can do about that.  It's pretty difficult.

Anyway, I've been trying to get through this patch of...um, despair, hopelessness, fear...there isn't really a right word for any of it... I realized that this is SO particularly difficult because the person I was closest to and talked to about everything was my grandmother.  And she passed away in November.

I have been trying to keep her positive thoughts and words in my head at my darkest times and today, I woke up with a memory.  She always talked about this song.  She didn't know the artist and she didn't have any details about it except the name and that she loved the lyrics.

The song is You'll Never Walk Alone.  It was created by Rogers & Hammerstein II for the musical Carousel in 1945 but has been reproduced by several artists since then, including Elvis.  I looked up the lyrics though and, I can see why she found it so uplifting.

I listened to this song today and it made me feel better, more hopeful.  I'm including the lyrics here for anyone else out there who is going through the same thing as me or something just as difficult.  I hope it helps you too.

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk

You'll never walk
You'll never walk alone.



No comments: