Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nice Chompers




I have a dentist appointment tonight and it brought back a strange memory.  I recently heard about a woman who had near-perfect dental health and, once she was diagnosed with MS, had four cavities within a few months.

Is this a symptom of MS?  Was it due to stress, added nighttime grinding and perhaps a lack of upkeep with her toothy routine because she had bigger problems to deal with?  I am really interested in this so...I'm going to do some research...back in a bit....................................

Ahhhh well, crap.  Looks like MS and tooth decay MAY go hand in hand folks.  As with everything else I've found out about this stupid disease, there is no real answer and the subject is complicated.  I know you didn't really expect anything else right? 

Apparently the major issues are decreased saliva production from MS medications (Ex. Copaxone), loss of fine motor skills used to thoroughly clean the mouth and a higher acidic content in the bodies (and saliva) of MS patients. 

Tooth injury is also a major concern because, as you know, most of us have problems with abnormal gait & balance and have a tendency to fall.  Sometimes you just don't have enough warning or coordination and instead of breaking your fall with your hands, you're breaking it with your pearly whites and freshly-applied lip gloss.  Trust; I know what I'm talking about here.

Anyway, I also looked up tips on combatting tooth issues and, they're pretty much what you've been hearing since the time of your first Batman or Little Mermaid toothbrush.

* Brush at least twice a day with a flouride toothpaste
* Floss daily
* Brush your tongue and use a tongue scraper
* Avoid sugary treats and eat a balanced diet
* Use an antibacterial mouthwash (I personally love Crest Pro-Health)
* Visit your dentist for regular (twice a year) check ups and cleanings

Also, if you have problems with hand control, invest in a flosser: a plastic wishbone-looking device that you thread your floss through.  Then it's way easier to floss...

I have never had problems with my teeth and was blessed with straight, strong chompers.  I admit that, since my diagnosis a few months ago, I haven't been as diligent with my dental routine as usual.  (I know, I know Mom - I'm working on it)  I guess I'll have to break out my night guard (for grinding my teeth) because, lord knows, I've been doing a lot of stress-related grinding lately.

So, now you know.

MS has taken several things from me over the past 6 years and especially the last 6 months.  I have been fighting to get them back tooth and nail but, I now realize, I'm not willing to give up any teeth, or nails, at all.  Screw you MS...you took my high heels but, you're not getting my smile!

Anyone else have dental-related information or advice?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there is a device my dentist just gave me to help with gums and teeth. Just a metal handle with a little rubber pick on the end. Dr. C said, "if everyone just used this once or twice a day, there would be no placque and very pink gums".Well, I have used it diligently and I have noticed quite a nice difference. This is made by G.U.M. and called, wait for it, "The Stimulator". Also, Oral B makes a great electric toothbrush for about $30.00. It does all the work.

Alison I said...

Awesome, thank you for the advice Anon. My hygienist and I talked about this subject tonight and she said MS patients often have dry mouth which is caused by medication. Dry mouth can cause problems with plaque and tartar build up, decay and gum disease. She gave me a toothpaste and rinse for dry mouth called Biotene in case I begin having problems. She also reiterated that MSers should go easy on candy and sweets as there may not be as much saliva available to wash away bacteria, which can cause cavities.