Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Well, I Never!

So, a couple of Christmases ago, my mother, sister and I went to the symphony.  We got a few drinks and sat in the lobby, relaxing while waiting to take our seats.  A woman walked by and the three of us just zeroed in on her adorable shoes.  They were shiny black satin heels, about 5 inches, with an ankle strap ribbon that tied in a bow.  Oh my, we were entranced.  The woman noticed us all staring at her lower half and stopped walking, looking at us with a quizzical face.

I looked up and apologized.  "We're just staring at your shoes; they're beautiful!"  I said.  She nodded, laughed and said "I know, this is their first night out." 
See, fellow shoe-lover.

Since my feet are all numb and my balance is zilch, I have been unable to wear heels so, I'm into flats now and, funnily enough, hats.  Well, never did I think that I'd be into another "accessory" of sorts too - some things you just can't predict.

This week I was in the lobby washroom at work and while washing my hands, I noticed that a woman down the way had a cane.  Not just any cane; my cane!  I struggled with myself; should I say anything?  Is it kosher to compliment and discuss walking aids like women do clothes and shoes?  What is the etiquette here?

Anyway, I just said to her, "I have that cane too; how do you like yours?"  She looked surprised at first but, then she smiled and said "I wish I didn't have this thing but, I was glad to see that they're made in different colours and patterns!"  My thoughts exactly.  We had a short, friendly discussion and now I know, a cane can be an accessory too.  Therefore, using female-math, it's okay to discuss in detail.  ha ha

So, I was born a blonde.  I swore up and down that I would NEVER dye my hair another colour.  Well, scratch that because a few years ago, I got bored and wanted to see what it would look like brunette.  My father has really dark hair and light eyes with super-light skin like me so, I thought I'd look okay.  I took the plunge and had it dyed dark; I really liked it and swore I would NEVER go back to blonde.

I stayed brunette for over two years.  I got bored again.  I had it dyed back to blonde and there it stays.  I recently found myself saying to a friend "I will NEVER dye it dark again!".  Hmmm, I stopped and realized, I have learned a lesson.

Never say NEVER.

I thought I'd be wearing heels until my dying day.  I thought I wouldn't need a cane.  I thought I'd always be blonde.  I try not to say "never" any more because, as we MS people know, you just NEVER know.  When you say "never", it's kind of like saying "can't".  And we all know, when push comes to shove, there aren't many things we can't handle. 

No comments: