Friday, June 24, 2011

Let's Get Outta' Here


There comes a time after every devastating diagnosis, traumatic event and heartache when you simply need to escape.  It's been just over three months since I found out that I have MS and, you know what, it's time for a vacation.

I'm off home to visit family and friends in Niagara, Ontario and then my Mom and I and two of our friends are off for a girl's trip to Quebec.  We're stopping in Montreal for shopping, the Eastern Townships to pamper ourselves and then to Quebec City to take in the sights and street cafes.  I can't wait to lounge at an outdoor bistro with a cappucino in hand and bone-up on my French.
Montreal

Eastern Townships

Quebec City
Not like we need an excuse to go on vacation but, here are the proven benefits of just taking a break from the daily grind once in a while:
  • Relieve stress
    The very first benefit of leaving everything behind and relieving your brain of all your worries is reduced stress.  Several studies have shown a direct link between stress and health conditions such as headaches, cardiovascular diseases, cancer and other types of infections acquired as a result of a weaker immune system. It has also been scientifically established that taking vacations reduces the incidence of burnout.  Relief from stress often gives us a new perspective on life, allows us to regain energy and often to find simple and sometimes obvious solutions to problems that had previously seemed impossible to solve.
  • Improve your mental skills
    Some studies have found a positive relationship between vacations and intellectual function. A well-rested mind that is free of worry is often more effective.
  • Improve your physical health
    Besides getting you away from daily stressors, a vacation often gives you the opportunity to catch up on sleep and exercise, two simple remedies for many aches and pains.
  • Strengthen family ties
    Too often, in our fast-paced daily routine, family relationships suffer. A vacation is a great opportunity to discover each other in a different setting and to build lasting memories.
I plan on doing all of the above over the next 12 days.  I'm also going to work really hard at strenthening the "family ties" between me, my favourite red wine and a lovely Quebec specialty cheese at the local Fromagerie!

I'll still be blogging while away so, I'll let you all know what treasures I find!

Love Ali



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say,we certainly had fun with those family ties. I am totally cheesed, wined, shopped and walked out.