Wednesday, May 04, 2011

It's A Bird, It's A Plane, No...What IS It Exactly?

Before I got my diagnosis of M.S. this March, I knew of the disease but, didn't know a lot about what it was exactly.  I think that most of us who are not directly affected by it are the same; we all probably know of someone with it but, don't know exactly what it is.  So, my post today will be about the different types of M.S. (which I didn't know existed before).  I am personally RRMS (Relapsing Remitting) right now and this type often turns into SPMS (Secondary Progressive).  Let's begin shall we?

Relapsing Remitting M.S. (RRMS):  This type is defined by episodes (A.K.A. flare-ups, attacks, relapses, exacerbations, pains in the a#s) that begin suddenly over the course of a few hours to days and last anywhere from 48 hours to several months.  In the period between attacks, a full or almost total recovery is achieved and function goes back to what it was (or almost) before the attack.  The time between attacks varies by person and can last months or even several years.  (Keep your fingers crossed for me here people :)  !!)  Approximately 85% of patients have this type of M.S. at the time they are diagnosed.

Okay, moving on...

Primary Progressive M.S. (PPMS):  This son of a b*tch type of M.S. is a slow accumulation of disability without any remissions or breaks.  Symptoms may stabilise for short periods of time but, overall there are no remissions.  10% of patients have this type and are generally diagnosed after the age of 40.  This is also the only type that affects men and women equally; otherwise the incidence is much higer in women than men. (Almost 2 to 1)  Short end of the stick here ladies when you add childbirth, menopause, menstruation etc...  :)

Next.....

Secondary Progressive M.S. (SPMS):  This is the boogeyman in the closet for me folks.  SPMS begins as Relapsing Remitting but, over time, the remissions and breaks happen less and the relapses or flare-ups get worse and occur more.  Eventually you end up with constantly accumulating disability on a steady course.  About 50% of people diagnosed initially with RRMS will turn into SPMS within 10 years and approximately 90% will be SPMS by the time they die.  This is the ticking time bomb that I hear in my head constantly...  not fun.

And on to the biggest A-hole in the bunch...

Progressive Relapsing M.S. (PRMS):  If you have this type of M.S., you're among a tiny 5% of the MS population.  PRMS-ers have M.S. that steadily worsens from the beginning but, just to make it a bit sh*ttier for you, you're also going to have additional attacks, or relapses during this time.  So, even though your relapse will eventually subside, you're just going to go back to a baseline of progressive disease.  This is the boogeyman that doesn't care if you see him and follows you around ALL the time.

So, to sum up, the only words that describe Multiple Sclerosis for me are vulgar curse words.  This is why we need to fundraise, be vigilant and aggressive for ourselves and our loved ones.  To all of you out there who are not currently active in the M.S. community but are interested, PLEASE help us to beat this.  If you're in Canada you can find upcoming events and volunteer oportunities at:

http://mssociety.ca/en/involved/default.htm 

Otherwise Google your local M.S. Society to get involved. 
As always, thank you all for reading...Love Ali xoxo

2 comments:

bean1304 said...

bean1304 said...
I hear you! I'm terrified of SPMS. I think the past two years since my diagnosis have been worse for me mentally than physically. I've died a 100 deaths over what this disease could do/is doing to my body. (The disease is progressing in my brain, but it is non-symptomatic). There's a great Michael J. Fox quote that helps me...something along the lines of "If you get caught up worrying about the worst case scenario and it doesn't happen, you've wasted your time. If you get caught up worring about the worst case scenario and it does happen, you've lived it twice".

Trina

Alison I said...

Seriously right?! I'm 'on watch' all the time not only for an approaching relapse but, wondering if it's going to go away this time. Major Suckage (ha ha...M.S.) Thank you for the quote; he is SO right! I need to concentrate on living in the moment and not in the future...what a good Canadian MJF is!!! :)