Monday, May 16, 2011

Pro Fur

Fur, down, feathers, fins, whatever; I love it!  I can't name one person in my entire family, immediate or extended, that doesn't adore animals.  I am one of those people that thinks babies and children are really cute but, put a goofy puppy in my path and I just melt.  I am fully versed in the animal baby-speak voice; you fellow animal lovers out there know what I mean by this.

I currently share my home with two adopted cats named Montie and Roper.  Well, it's actually more accurate to say that, by all appearances, I live in their house and exist to cater to their every wish.  If you look in the dictionary under the definition of "pampered" you'll see a picture of my pets.  Check this out... 
That being said, I don't mind it one tiny bit.  I don't mind the little tumbleweeds of fur that I vacuum up every other day, or the constant expense of industrial sized lint roller refills.  I don't mind the ever present threat of asphyxiation due to Roper's penchant for sleeping on my pillow or Montie's old-man snoring while nestled in the crook of my arm. 

They make me feel better.  They rely on me and don't care if I walk funny sometimes (unless I step on a tail accidentally) or can't go to work or drive.  The only time that they stare at my cane is if it interferes with the sight line to their food bowl.  Actually, my recent disability leave went in their favour as I was at their beck and call 24/7 and they always had a warm lap to sleep on.  My M.S. does not affect them at all and I really like that; it makes me feel healthier somehow.

If I didn't live in a condo, I would most likely have an entire petting zoo situation going on.  I have always wanted horses, dogs and funnily enough, a cow.  Not to work or ride or even do anything purposeful at all really; I'd just like to adopt and be surrounded by a bunch of animals.  Some people want a brood of children, some want absolute privacy and space; I want fur.

My sister and I went to the zoo yesterday and when we approached a gorgeous cheetah, she was resting under a protective tree branch (it was raining) and she was purring.  A wild, huge cheetah...purring.  So, of course, I totally turned to goo.  The animal-baby voice came out.  Embarrassing.  Unavoidable.  Animal-baby-voicing a cheetah!  ha ha

Can any of you out there relate?  Who or what makes you feel better when you're ill?

Here are a few more pictures of the animals in my life because I just can't resist:
Jake & Harvey


Cessna

                                                                 
Zarino




Buddy

Sly
 If you have any special pet-nurses that you love, send along their pic and I'll post it here for you.  :)
Ali.

No comments: