Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Drop in the Bucket

During my life, whenever I got a cold or the flu (or was hungry, or tired, or sad, or...anything) my grandmother would always say "drink lots of water".  If I had a sore throat it became "drink lots of water" + "gargle with salt". Like drinking water was the magic elixir and was the answer to any illness.

Well, I guess it's true because apparently drinking a lot of water is beneficial to MS patients for a very interesting reason.

You know how Dr. Paolo Zamboni has shown that our disease may be due to faulty or twisted veins and impaired blood drainage?  If you have no idea what I'm talking about right now, see this link:

Caught up?  Good.  So anyway, there is this thing out there called the Water Cure.  Heard of it?  I hadn't either so I looked it up and wow, would my grandmother ever love this!

Basically it says that you can improve or cure your MS by drinking a lot of water. There is a very specific recipe that says to take your weight, divide it by two and that number equals the number of ounces of water you're to drink per day.  So, if you weigh 140 pounds (divided by two is 70) you should be drinking 70 ounces of water a day.

This is done to keep the water volume in your body up, which keeps a lot of blood flowing through your veins.  This doesn't allow them to become twisted or malformed and voila, no back up of blood flow into the brain and ... no MS.  See, I told you it was interesting.

There is a whole Water Cure following out there that swear by this method. They've got it down to water + sea salt and methods to help your body retain the beneficial liquid for 2-3 hours (bagel anyone?).  I know that you're probably thinking (like I was) that it would be difficult to ingest that large amount of water and not be constantly doing the pee-pee dance.  

They have fixes for this too and give you specific amounts to slowly begin you on the path to your maximum water intake.

Don't worry about floating away; you're not to drink more than one liter of water at a time.  There are also several tips on cutting out foods that rob your body of water and how to combat swelling if you're going the water + salt route.

I've included the information links on the bottom of this post in case you'd like to try the Water Cure; I'm going to.  Why not right?  I know that several people will scoff at this and say that water alone can't help my disease but, whatever, it's my life and if I don't try everything I can, I'm just giving in.

And pardon me but, screw giving in.  ha ha

Here's the Water Cure information for the fellow non-giving-in-ers.  

http://www.watercure2.org/   (See: Critical Water Cure Info)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW, great info, adding more water into your diet helps with all body function. So, this weekend...WATER, wine, WATER, wine...

Cris