Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sun-Tastic!

For the past three days I have been nearly symptom-free.  I haven't had this ease of movement or mobility since last year so, naturally, I'm wondering...what's up?

I have a hunch that it may be related to Vitamin D.  I spent this past Saturday by the pool and got a sunburn...not good for my extremely white skin and pathetically low pain-tolerance but, seemingly good for my MS.

I was told by the MS Clinic, my neurologist and countless MS patients to take about 4000 IU of Vitamin D3 per day as it has been shown to help our disease.  As many of us live in Canada, you know that for several months a year (A.K.A. "winter"), we don't have enough direct sun exposure to boost our Vitamin D levels.  Thank goodness for vitamin tablets (and sunny vacations)!  As a rough guide, 10 minutes of direct sun exposure equals about 400 IU of Vitamin D.

So, the type of Vitamin D that we're looking at here is D3 or cholecalciferol.  Vitamin D3 is naturally made in our bodies when our skin comes into contact with ultraviolet light at specific wavelengths (this is why Vitamin D3 is always produced by the sun but, not always from tanning beds). 

Interestingly enough, Vitamin D3 is also produced only when the UV index is greater than 3.  This means that, in the tropics, you're always producing Vitamin D.  Here in Canada and other temperate regions, you're only getting Vitamin D production in summer and parts of spring and autumn.  Generally, humans require 10-15 minutes of sun twice a week or more to have an adequate natural supply of the vitamin.  It's also most beneficial to get sun (without sunscreen) on your hands, arms, back or face.

For someone like me who is as white as the driven snow and doesn't tan...ever, this sun thing is tricky.  I am constantly slathered in layers of sunscreen with a sun hat and glasses planted firmly on my head.  And don't tell me (like everyone does) to work up to a tan, blah blah blah because I've tried it ALL people.  I'm a burner.  End of story.

If you don't have MS, your recommended dose is 600-1000 IU of Vitamin D3 per day.  For you fellow MSers, you can take 2000-4000.  You can also boost your vitamin levels through food; although there are very few foods that provide a significant amount of Vitamin D.  Fatty fish like mackerel and salmon are the best sources (3 ounces = 388 to 487 IU).  You can also get smaller amounts of Vitamin D in fortified foods like yogurt, milk and cheese, egg yolks and liver.

And what is the connection between Vitamin D3 and MS you ask?  Well, as has been discovered with many diseases of late, it may all come down to a gene mutation.

There is evidence to suggest that a common gene that many carry may become mutated if too little Vitamin D is available.  This gene is called DRB1 and when someone inherits one copy from a parent, they are seven times more likely to develop MS if Vitamin D deficient.  When a person inherits two copies, one from each parent, they are 10 times more likely to develop MS if deficient in Vitamin D.

If you remember back to my posts about caffeine and leeches, there was a common theme detected in the study of MS having to do with T-cells.  It is thought that the damage and destruction done to our brains is a result of harmful T-cells crossing the blood-brain barrier and attacking our myelin (the protective protein "insulation" in our brain).

With this Vitamin D theory, it is thought that the mutated gene environment, caused by Vitamin D deficiency, prevents our thymus gland from doing it's job; and that is to identify and destroy T-cells that attack the body's own cells and proteins.  See, even our glands need beach vacations!

Vitamin D3 supplements are inexpensive, widely available and completely safe when taken in the recommended dose range.  There is mounting evidence that maintaining an adequate Vitamin D level can help ward off cancers and other autoimmune diseases too.

I must admit that I haven't been that strict with myself and have been sporadic in taking my supplements.  Now that I know this information, I'm on board the Vitamin D train.  Hey, there is no chance that I can get my recommended daily dose of sunlight with my skin tone.  I might help my MS but, I'll have to trade that off with looking like a tomato constantly!  I think I'll stick with the supplements, my hat and sunglasses...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So all those sunburns as a kid may be good, although my dermetologist may have a different opinion? I don't like the look on her face when she sees me.
This info and the statistics for MS in Canada are pretty compelling!
Once again Al, really good research. Thanks, luv mom

Alison I said...

Yes, I can thank all of those pool & beach burns for the freckles today but, you have to keep up the Vitamin D daily for it to do any good. You know my skin - it's just not worth the pain and ice packs... :) Just go to Shopper's and pick up Jamieson Vitamin D3 for your "fix" - it's my favourite kind.