Friday, July 22, 2011

There's A Tear In My Beer

morning coffee 1111 Morning coffee (38 photos)So, as previously mentioned, I'm going through a bit of a rough patch and I think the permanence of my diagnosis is sinking in...deeply.  ha ha

Anyway, I had heard that depression and MS go hand in hand and I wanted to research this a bit further to see if it there was any way to prevent "the sads".  It turns out that there are three types of depression commonly associated with MS:

Reactive/Situational - This is when you get depressed because of your diagnosis or because symptoms are cramping your style.  It can also be due to the reactions from friends and family or fear of the future.  I think that this type is totally what I'm going through myself; really textbook.

Organic - Depression can be caused by physical changes in the brain and the demyelination and formation of lesions in critical areas.

Medication Side-Effects - Common inject-able MS drugs like Avonex and Betaseron carry a possible side-effect of depression.  During a relapse, Prednisone or other steroids are often administered at a high dose to reduce inflammation in the brain & spinal cord.  These steroids often cause initial hyperactivity but are usually followed by a period of depression.  I may fit into this category as well; double-whammy.

So, this is pretty sucky.  Approximately 50% of MS patients will experience one of these types of depression at some point and about 14% are depressed at any given time.  I know that sadness is a normal reaction to a life-changing diagnosis.  I'm trying to be kind and give myself the opportunity to grieve and get used to this new reality without expecting too much out of myself in the way of "cheerful".  Know what I mean?

But, if you're feeling really low and starting to go over to the dark side, listen up.  People with MS are between 2 and 7.5 times more likely than the general population to commit suicide as a direct result of untreated depression. 

The most common signs of being in a significant depressed state can be found below; if you're feeling a lot of these a lot of the time for two weeks or more, it's probably time to talk to your doctor...
  • feeling worthless, helpless or hopeless
  • sleeping more or less than usual
  • eating more or less than usual
  • having difficulty concentrating or making decisions
  • loss of interest in taking part in activities
  • decreased sex drive
  • avoiding other people
  • overwhelming feelings of sadness or grief
  • feeling unreasonably guilty
  • loss of energy, feeling very tired
  • thoughts of death or suicide
  • increased aches and pains 
Did you notice that several of the hallmarks of a depressive episode are also extremely similar to MS symptoms too?  (I highlighted some of the obvious...)  This is why it's sometimes difficult to realise when you or a loved one are suffering from a depression. 

You don't have to feel like this forever; I'm talking to myself here too!  So, pay attention to your body and mind and take care of yourself.  Your family and friends can't afford to lose you too soon and neither can the MS community; we need to stick together.  :)

If you're worried about yourself, a family member or friend, take a spin through this test and it may help clarify things if you're new to the whole depression-thing:  http://www.cmha.calgary.ab.ca/mentalhealth/depressiontest.aspx

Whew, lots of information.  But, I feel a bit more hopeful just from researching all of that for us...  I will continue to fight the good fight and do everything I can to spread the word on MS.  As always, if you have any questions, send them in and I'll do my best to find you answers; or to lend a supportive ear.

Stay strong MS-ers!
Love Ali. xoxo


No comments: